Conference approves funding for North Katanga Conference
The South Georgia Conference, during its 2020 Annual Conference session, approved a recommendation for the reallocation of designated reserve funds to support several ministries in the North Katanga Annual Conference in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
The $60,000 in mission funds reallocated for use in the North Katanga Annual Conference was originally raised for the East Africa Annual Conference: Open Hands Partnership and Humble Place School. The East Africa partnership ceased in 2012 and is no longer a viable partnership.
Working through the General Board of Global Ministries and in consultation with Bishop Mande Muyombo, resident bishop of the North Katanga Area, the team recommended that $60,000 be distributed to support five North Katanga Annual Conference ministries and projects:
- $20,000 to Kamisamba Farm for programming and training that empowers churches to provide outreach ministry and sustainable development in the districts
- $10,000 to Kamina Children’s Home for Scholarship support and skill development for the newly launched business center with the goal for the youth to transition to independent living
- $10,000 for United Methodist Women for training throughout the conference
- $15,000 for Church Development, specifically for metal roofing sheets
- $5,000 for Clergy Training
Lindsey was part of the six-member team who traveled to the North Katanga Annual Conference nearly a year ago to explore a new mission partnership between the two conferences. She, along with Rev. Christy Bandy, Rev. Joseph Carter, Dr. Rev. Nita Crump, Rev. Paula Lewis, and Dr. Rev. Lee Pettis, spent eight days touring the conference and learning about the work and ministry being done.
“We are moving beyond ministry to into ministry with,” Lindsey said. “We have a lot to learn from each other. Thank you all for being a part of that.”
The Conference Missions Discipleship Team will begin its work in sharing with local churches the culture of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and ways that churches can connect with the people and ministries of the North Katanga Annual Conference. For more information, contact the 2019 team members who traveled to the area, visit the Conference website, or contact Allison Lindsey at firstname.lastname@example.org.